“Let us never negotiate out of fear. But let us never fear to negotiate”
John F Kennedy
How many times do you think afterwards you could have got a better price or could just simply have said more when the deal was being discussed.
Please find some top tips to think about when you are next negotiating:-
- Focus on interests not positions – interests are your underlying motivators and a position can be limiting especially if you attach your ego to it.
- Expand the pie – have lots of options and ideas do not limit yourself entering the discussion
- Treat negotiation as a puzzle which needs to be solved rather than a battle to be won. Separate people from problem.
- Always know your BATNA (Best Alternative To a Negotiated Agreement). Consider the other person’s BATNA as well.
- Be respectful and empathetic to the person you are negotiating with.
- Make negotiations win/win
- Think of the level you are negotiating at:-
- Strategic – long term
- Tactical – immediate
- Political – other agenda
- Individual – personal
- Be careful not too steer the negotiation in the wrong direction:-
- Value Slayer – talk about price too quickly
- Value Snoozer – telling them something they know already
- Value Star – telling them something amazing that they don’t know
- Think about characteristics of great leaders, patience, fairness, resilience, respect and many more…
- Finally look for a wise agreement for both parties
Please do contact email@example.com for a negotiating workshop.