I am from Generation X, delivering workshops now to Millennials. What do I need to know? Do I believe all the stories about short attention span, lack of commitment and even the word “lazy”.
As a facilitator you guide the thinking in the room and you would never categorise people, so do I need to understand a Millenial. Always keen to upskill I attended a workshop delivered by Alice Burks of Adaptis and this is my summary of what I learnt:-
- What is a Millenial? = born between 1980 – 2000
- Interested in career waves not career ladders
- They develop themselves for industry not a company
- Very good at knowledge harvesting
- Ongoing learning is crucial
- Want to be developed and stay
- Project variety
- Top values for Millenials are:
- time off
- Don’t like being told
- Reverse mentoring – believe knowledge is everywhere
- Millenials want to lead
The list is refreshing as it is not that dissimiliar to our own generation and certainly as a Facilitator they would be the group you would want in the room.
In summary Millenials have come of age during a financial crisis, they are more connected with a global network and have been immersed in technological change. They want to be able to work in a way that suits their lifestyle and as leaders will encourage flexibility. Ideally they desire personal values to be aligned with company values.
Please do contact firstname.lastname@example.org for workshops and coaching in developing yourself or your team.