Julian Treasure’s TED talk is all about the quality of listening or the lack of it.
On average retention of listening is only 25%, as we make our own interpretation. We make up patterns from the sound. We also subconsciously apply filters as to what we want to listen to.
Treasure suggests we partake in a listening workout, train ourselves to pay attention:-
- Sit in silence for 3 minutes a day.
- Apply a mixer, how many channels can you hear, what are the different sounds around you.
- Savouring and enjoying some of the mundane sounds, the tumble dryer is a hidden choir that we don’t appreciate or truly listen to.
- Think about your positioning when you listen, are you being respectful to the person you are listening to. Do you appear attentive and active in your physicality or are you too relaxed and therefore appear to only be passively listening.
- He says we should apply the following formula:-
Treasure says “we live to listen, listening is the gateway to understanding”
Listening is a skill like any other and we need to practise and develop continuously.
Please do get in touch for a workshop on communication skills firstname.lastname@example.org