Running your own business and being based at home means we are ready for this phase of home working, but will it be the same?
At the moment I have a lovely office all to myself, I fear the invasion will begin with husband and children wanting to be in that space. There will be no more lighting candles and having the radio on while I work.
My husband’s phone calls are so loud, the High Street will know the deal he is working on. The 15 year old cannot work without food constantly being consumed. The 17 year old is quite messy (she will hate me for saying that). The clear desk policy will be hard to implement.
My ideas for making it work will be rota or finding new areas to work where we can all be happy with our own rituals.
Everyone in these crazy times has to be resourceful and as family we will work the desk and office space.
Top tips for working from home:-
- Start the day by writing down what you want to achieve
- Work out your best time for working
- Clear the office of any distractions
- Create the environment you want to work in – make it comfortable
- Work in blocks – use the pommodoro technique
- Reward yourself at the breaks with coffee…
- Socialise with who is in the house at the same time – water cooler moments
- Take a lunch hour – go outside (you would at the office)
- Be disciplined about when you stop work (without a commute you might be inclined to work longer)
- Keep work in a separate area to where you relax (no laptop on your lap while watching TV)
Please do get in touch if you would like any help or advice on home working email@example.com