Throughout this period we have talked about being resilient, learning to work from home and how to return to the office. However resilience has a partner we now need to be resourceful as well.
We will still have macro shocks and disruption alongside the micro daily stresses and strains.
Resilience is our capacity to cope with pressure, change and stress. We need four components to ensure we are resilient:-
- Commitment to stick with it and not give up
- Persistence and tenacity the ability to keep trying
- Postivity to always identify a learning opportunity and growth
- Bounce back, the ability to reset and come back stronger
Resilience can be learnt and below are some ideas as to how you can equip yourself:-
- Stay motivated
- Don’t be a perfectionist “Good is good enough”
- Grow a thicker skin – accept that you will make mistakes
- Sit with discomfort – wait until you have the right solution
- Stay strong in self belief
- Focus on the positive
- Be realistic but at the same time aim high
- Don’t lose perspective
- Positive affirmations – “I can handle this…”
- Ask for help
Resourcefulness is about the creative ability to overcome problems and making do with what is available at that moment in time. Summarised below:-
- Problem Solving
We can learn to be resourceful however there is an element that is innate are ability to survive is within us already. We need to keep developing that ability to find quick and clever solutions by being more agile in our thinking.
Tools and ways of developing your resourcefulness:-
- Evaluate situations what do you have available
- Think creatively, adapt ideas and find fresh thinking
- Don’t take the first no as the final answer
- Negotiate well with a win win for either side
- Who else can support you
- Bend the rules if needs be
- Dare to ask for what you need
- Keep your options open
- Embrace different opportunities
- Be proactive
We are in a new arena of working where being resilient and resourceful, hand in hand will be our way forward. Working patterns will be tried and adjusted several times until we get some good rhythms that are effective.
Look at the toolkits above and practice them to ensure the core behaviours of resilience and resourcefulness are instinctive.
Please do get in touch for a coaching session email@example.com